Blennerville Windmill, 2km west of Tralee on the N86, was built around 1800 by Sir Rowland Blennerhassett and operated successfully for about 30 years. It was a tower-type mill with five floors. Despite several incarnations: first as a steam mill, then as a store, it fell eventually into disrepair about 1890 and survived as a ruin up until 1984 when an ambitious programme of restoration began under the supervision of industrial archaeologist Dr. Fred Hamond which was competed in 1989. Since then it has become a focal point for a major visitor and craft complex on the shores of Tralee Bay.
It is open 7 days a week from April to October. The restored windmill is the centrepiece of a visitor complex comprising an exhibition centre, small craft centre and craft shop.
There is a multi-lingual exhibition tracing the history of Blennerville and the Windmill. During the 19th century Blennerville was the main port of emigration from County Kerry to North America and from where the famous Jeanie Johnston (1847-58) famine ship operated. The ship was rebuilt on the site adjoining the windmill over the period 1998-2000 and recreated her trans-Atlantic voyages in 2003.
Part of the famous Tralee to Dingle Light Railway (1891-1953) is also found in Blennerville.